Best Family Photoshoot Locations In London
From parks and gardens to landmarks. Here are our best family photoshoot locations:
1. London Southbank
If you’re looking for a photoshoot location that oozes London charm, look no further than the Southbank. This stretch of the Thames is home to some of the city’s most iconic landmarks, including the London Eye, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. Not to mention, there are plenty of cute cafes and restaurants lining the riverfront, making it the perfect spot for a family outing.
This is a location that is suitable for all seasons, with different events that the family can enjoy, to capture a new vibe for each photo with an amazing London family photographer. This includes the Christmas market in the winter, which is full of Christmas spectacles from the Christmas markets, to the never ending trail of Christmas decoration along the Southbank, get yourself a mulled wine and let the kids enjoy their Christmas goodies! The summer is also a wonderful time to enjoy Southbank’s many summer events, with 100s of markets along the way, and plenty of eclectic summer fun.
Found a location you love? Then book Your London Vacation Photoshoot today!
How to Get to Southbank
2. Tower Of London
The Tower Of London is a historic castle that was built in 1066. It has been used as a prison, a royal palace, and a place of execution. Today, it is one of the most popular tourist attractions in London. The Tower Of London is a great place for a family photoshoot. You can take pictures of your family in front of the castle, or inside the castle grounds.
One of the best things about the Tower of London is its impressive collection of jewels and crowns, including the famous Crown Jewels of the British monarchy. Visitors can also explore the many towers and exhibits that bring to life the stories of the Tower’s past, including the famous ravens that are said to protect the fortress. Take your kids around, and show them the rich history of Britain.
How to Get to the Tower of London
3. St Pauls Cathedral
St Paul’s Cathedral is one of the most iconic buildings in London and makes for a stunning backdrop to any family photoshoot. The grandeur of the cathedral will make your photos look truly spectacular and is sure to impress your friends and family. The cathedral also has a number of different photo spots to choose from, so you can find the perfect place to snap that perfect photo. So what is so great about St Paul’s?
- Stunning architecture: St. Paul’s Cathedral is a masterpiece of architectural design, featuring a stunning dome that is one of the largest in the world.
- Rich history: The cathedral has played a significant role in the history of London, from the Great Fire of 1666 to the funeral of Sir Winston Churchill.
- Beautiful interior: Visitors can admire the cathedral’s beautiful interior, which includes intricate mosaics, stunning stained glass windows, and elaborate sculptures.
- Unique experiences: St. Paul’s Cathedral offers unique experiences such as climbing the dome to the Golden Gallery for spectacular views of London, attending a choral evensong service, or exploring the crypt where many famous figures are buried.
- Spiritual significance: As a working Anglican cathedral, St. Paul’s offers a place of worship and reflection for people of all faiths and backgrounds.
How to Get to St Pauls Cathederal
4. Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace has been the London home of British royalty since 1837. The Palace is a working royal residence and administrative headquarters for the Monarch. It’s also one of the most popular tourist attractions in London, hosting over 600,000 visitors each year.
If you’re looking for a regal backdrop for your family photos, Buckingham Palace is an ideal location. The Palace grounds are beautifully manicured and offer plenty of photo opportunities, from the iconic front gate to the stunning gardens. Just be sure to time your visit around one of the daily changing of the guard ceremonies!
How to Get to Buckingham Palace
5. Central London Parks
If you’re looking for a beautiful spot to take family photos in London, you can’t go wrong with one of the city’s many parks. Central London is home to some of the best parks in the city, including Hyde Park, St. James’s Park, and Regent’s Park.
Hyde Park is one of the largest parks in London, and it’s perfect for a family photoshoot. There are plenty of open spaces to choose from, as well as plenty of photo-worthy landmarks like the Serpentine Lake and Kensington Palace.
How to Get to Hyde Park
St James Park
St. James’s Park is another great option for a family photoshoot. This park is smaller than Hyde Park, but it’s just as beautiful. The lake in the centre of the park is especially lovely, and you can get some great shots of Buckingham Palace in the background.
How to Get to St James Park
Regent’s Park is another one of London’s large parks, and it offers a different vibe than Hyde Park or St. James’s Park. This park is known for its lush gardens, and it’s a great place to take advantage of spring flowers if you’re planning a photoshoot around that time of year.
How to Get to Regents Park
Click here to book your London Family Photographer
6. Hampstead Heath
Hampstead Heath is one of the best family photoshoot locations in London. This large and picturesque park is perfect for a relaxed family photo shoot, with plenty of space to run around and explore. The Heath has stunning views of the city skyline, making it a great spot for a sunset or sunrise shoot. There are also several ponds and streams dotted around the park, which make for beautiful backdrops. So what makes it such a great family spot:
- Wide-open spaces: Hampstead Heath is a vast open space, covering over 790 acres, which provides ample room for visitors to roam, relax and enjoy the natural surroundings.
- Stunning views: From the top of Parliament Hill, visitors can enjoy panoramic views of London’s skyline, including the Shard, the Gherkin, and the London Eye.
- Diverse wildlife: The park is home to a variety of wildlife, including birds, butterflies, foxes, and even bats, making it an ideal destination for nature lovers.
- Outdoor activities: There are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy in Hampstead Heath, including hiking, cycling, swimming in the bathing ponds, and picnicking.
- Cultural significance: The park has played an important role in the cultural history of London, having inspired many artists, writers, and poets over the years, including John Keats, who lived nearby and wrote some of his most famous works here.
How to Get to Hamptsead Heath
7. Notting Hill
Notting Hill is a great location for a family photoshoot. The area is full of vibrant colours and interesting architecture, making it a perfect backdrop for your photos. There are also plenty of parks and green spaces nearby, making it easy to find a spot to relax and take in the sights.
Take a walk along portobello road market, famous for its antique, bric-a-brac and vintage clothing store that is quintessentially British. One to capture especially if you are on a family vacation, as we can assure you that you won’t find a marketing stretch like Portobello road in any other place in the world.
How to Get to Notting Hill
If you’re looking for a family photoshoot location in London with personality and character, look no further than Shoreditch. This hipster haven is known for its street art, unique shops, and cool cafes, making it the perfect place to capture some genuinely original family photos.
When it comes to finding the best spot for your photo shoot, there are endless possibilities in Shoreditch. For a classic London feel, pose in front of one of the iconic red telephone booths or double-decker buses. Or get creative with your backdrop and pose in front of a colourful mural or graffiti-covered wall.
If you want to take advantage of the neighbourhood’s cool vibe, there are plenty of trendy cafes and coffee shops where you can set up your shot. And when you’re done capturing those perfect memories, you can enjoy a well-deserved cup of coffee or a bite to eat with your family.
How to Get to Shoreditch
- Directions to Shoreditch on Google Maps
- Looking for Top Winter Family Photography Locations? Click here
9. Kings Cross
Kings Cross is one of London’s most popular family photoshoot locations. The area is full of charm and character, and there are plenty of great backdrops for your photos. Kings Cross is also a great place to take advantage of the city’s many photo opportunities.
How to Get to Kings Cross
Here are some of our favourite Kings Cross family photoshoot locations:
|Locations in Kings Cross to Visit||Why Should You Go?|
|Platform 9 3/4||A must-visit for any Harry Potter fan, Platform 9 3/4 is the perfect place to capture some magical family moments.|
|St Pancras International||This stunning station is perfect for couples or families who want to capture a romantic moment in London.|
|Granary Square||With its beautiful fountains and colourful buildings, Granary Square makes for a great backdrop for fun family photos.|
|Regent’s Canal||Take a stroll along the canal and capture some lovely shots of your family enjoying the peaceful surroundings.|
10. Big Ben Clock Tower
Regarding family photoshoots in London, one of the most popular locations is Big Ben. The iconic clock tower is a great backdrop for photos, and there are plenty of other photo-worthy spots nearby, like Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament. If you’re looking for a classic London family photo, Big Ben is the place to go.
Here are some of the best things about Big Ben that make it such a special place and why you should take your family:
- Symbol of London: Big Ben is a symbol of London recognized all over the world. It represents the rich history, culture, and architecture of London.
- History and architecture: The clock tower is a marvel of Victorian architecture and engineering. It was completed in 1859 and stands at 96 meters tall.
- Accuracy and reliability: The clock tower’s clock is famous for its accuracy and reliability. It has rarely stopped working, even during World War II bombings.
- Chimes: The clock tower’s chimes are famous and have been featured in many movies, TV shows, and songs.
- Access: Although it is not possible to climb the clock tower itself, visitors can still get close to it and take pictures from Westminster Bridge or Parliament Square.
How to Get to Big Ben Clocktower
11. London Museums
There are a ton of great museums in London that the whole family will enjoy! Here are just a few of our favourites:
The British Musuem
This world-famous museum is home to millions of artifacts from all over the globe and its majestic main hall is known as the ‘great court’, which is a British architectural marvel. From ancient Egyptian mummies to priceless works of art, there’s something for everyone at the British Museum.
How to Get to the British Musuem
The Natural History Musuem
Kids will love exploring the dinosaurs and other animals on display at this museum. There’s also an exciting butterfly house where you can get up close and personal with some beautiful creatures.
How to Get to the Natural History Museum?
The Science Musuem
This is the perfect place for budding scientists of all ages. With interactive exhibits and plenty of hands-on fun, the Science Museum is sure to educate and entertain the whole family.
How to Get to the Science Museum
12. Somerset House
Somerset House located near the Strand in the Heart of London is a magnificent location for family photoshoots for several reasons.
Firstly, it is a stunning Georgian building with a grand façade, beautiful courtyards, and picturesque water features, which make for an ideal backdrop for family portraits. Secondly, the location provides a range of indoor and outdoor spaces, allowing for a diverse selection of photos. Whether you prefer a more traditional backdrop or something more contemporary, there is something for everyone at Somerset House.
In terms of the best time to take photographs at Somerset House, it largely depends on your preference. If you prefer a vibrant, bustling atmosphere, then visiting during the day when the courtyard is full of people and energy would be ideal. However, if you want a more serene and tranquil backdrop, then visiting early in the morning or during the evening when the crowds have dispersed would be perfect.
How to Get to Somerset House
13. Maritime Museum Greenwich
The Maritime Museum, situated in Greenwich is an excellent location for a family photo because of its stunning architecture and historical significance. The museum is located in the heart of the Greenwich World Heritage Site, which is famous for its rich maritime history and culture. Here are a few reasons why the Maritime Museum in Greenwich is a great place for a family photo:
- Architecture: The Maritime Museum is a stunning building that features a blend of modern and classical architecture. The building’s exterior is made of red bricks and features a central dome that adds to its grandeur. The building’s interior is equally impressive, with a vast atrium that allows plenty of natural light to flood in.
- Historical Significance: The Maritime Museum is dedicated to preserving and celebrating the UK’s maritime heritage. It houses a vast collection of objects, artworks, and artifacts that tell the story of the country’s seafaring past. This historical significance adds an extra dimension to your family photo, making it more meaningful.
- Closeby to similar attractions such as Greenwich University. which is another beautiful and historic location. The university’s buildings feature a mix of architectural styles, from classical to modern, making it an excellent location for a family photo.
How to Get to the Maritime Museum
14. Greenwich Park
Greenwich Park is another great location for a family photoshoot due to its breathtaking views of the city skyline and the River Thames. The park is also home to a wide variety of flora and fauna, including wildflowers, trees, and wildlife. These scenic elements create a stunning backdrop for family photos.
It also has rich historical significance having been a royal hunting ground since the 15th century and even home to other historic buildings such as the Royal Observatory and Maritime Museum as mentioned above.
How to Get to Greenwich Park
Articles You May Enjoy…
Services You May Want To Book
Adam is the co-founder of WeShootYou photography. He is a reputable photographer that’s been featured on sites such as Medium, ZDNET and Business Insider. He specialises on crafting powerful and iconic images for family photography, dating photography and portrait photography.